Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Listening to God

The sheep that are my own hear and are listening to my voice; and I know them, and they follow me.”
John 10:27
(Louis Robbe (attr) Schafherde in hügeliger Landschaft)
These days, there seems to be a cacophony of religious voices, all saying different things. 
In matters of faith, only one voice matters.  How will we discern that voice? 
Psalm 46 says: “Be still and know that I am God.” 
Be still.
We modern folk are such poor listeners.  We label each other, we talk past each other, we judge each other, we jump to conclusions, we stop listening.
We want to be heard, we want everyone else to listen to us, we talk to whomever will listen.
Stop.
Listen.
No, really, I mean it!  Stop talking (mentally even) and … just …
Listen.
This song (linked below) reminds us just to take it in, and to give it back.  Not to tell others or to tell God how it is or what we want, sometimes not even to tell God what we need. 
Sometimes, we are just to
Listen
And, if we respond,  our response is to “lift a hymn of grateful praise.” 
Nothing more, nothing less.
Heather Prusse sings For the Beauty of the Earth
In thought,  word, and deed, let us praise our God.  As it is said in Psalm 19:14:
“May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!