Saturday, January 12, 2013

Rethinking Church?

I can’t stand your

religious meetings.


I’m fed up with your

conferences and conventions.


I want nothing to do with your

  religion projects,


your pretentious

  slogans and goals.


I’m sick of your

  fund-raising schemes,

your public relations and

  image making.

I’ve had all I can take of your noisy

  ego-music.


When was the last time you sang to me?


Do you know what I want?


I want 

JUSTICE

oceans of it.

I want

 FAIRNESS

rivers of it.


That’s what I want. 


That’s all I want.






How does this strike you?  
It's a direct quote from 
Amos 5:18-24 
(The Message translation of the Bible)


*Image is the Tower of Babel, from a Russian manuscript of Cosmas Indicopleustes (c. 1539), scanned from В. Д. Сарабьянов, Э. С. Смирнова. История древнерусской живописи. М., ПСТГУ, 2007, стр. 586 by an anonymous source. It is in the public domain due to expiration of copyright.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!